Sunday, November 21, 2004

Head Games

I'm convinced that 90% of any sort of performance is mental. People used to tell me when I played softball that 90% of the game was in my head, and I used to make faces. But when you're a kid, you don't know shit from shinola. When your 25, you know what shit is, and you're still searching for shinola. Maybe in another 15 or 25 I'll know what the hell shinola is.

I've been trying to force myself to relax lately. Yeah, who'd have thought you'd need training and also conscious decisions to "unlax" in order to just relax. That's why my last two voice lessons went horribly, I figured out. I thought I wasn't putting enough into it, but it turned out I was putting too much into it, and every muscle in my back, throat and head was scrunched into a little ball.

I forced myself to just completely go slack before my lesson started. I bet I looked like complete frooze in the waiting room, however, it did help significantly. This morning I was in far too much of a rush because of getting up late to worry about getting tense or messing stuff up. Turned out everything went perfectly. Too bad that wasn't last time I was cantoring, with the Ave Maria.

And writing. I haven't been writing too much lately becuase I'm "back in my head" again. I'm burning some candles right now, hoping that'll help. I'm about to start heating oil in a minute in the hopes that it'll help. I've discovered I write better when the aromatherapy thing's going on. It lets my mind relax a little, and that tension in my shoulders go away a litt. Lets see how things go.

Ok, time to dip into the christmas pail and get out the oil burner. Wish me luck.

1 Comments:

Blogger Abby said...

On the aromatherapy front, try lavendar. Seems to help in relaxation.

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home