Thursday, December 16, 2004

Sad, but not unexpected news.

My grandfather told my mother last night that my Nonna was diagnosed with the early stages of Alzheimers.

On one level, I'm devistated. On another level, I already knew. The last few times I've seen her, she's been disoriented in a whole new way. It wasn't the strokes, it wasn't the sugar/diabetes issues. I could just tell. That slack look on her face and the loose, grey palor of her face reminded me far too much of my paternal grandfather in those early stages where he would come back to us now and again.

I've already been through this. I still don't feel like I'm over losing my grandfather. When he finally left us, we were relieved that his suffering was over. But as time has gone on, I do feel jipped out of the time we could have spent together that wasn't quite so... I don't know. Difficult.

I know Nonna's been slipping for years. I know things haven't been good with her sugar or her heart. I was just hoping things would be... (I'm so lost for words today) more peaceful.

2 Comments:

Blogger Gretchen said...

I'm so sorry. Words aren't adequate at times like this. But I'm sorry.

6:56 PM  
Blogger Abby said...

I'm sorry to hear about Nonna.

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home