Monday, January 03, 2005

I'm thinking of writing a cook book

I like to cook, I'm fairly good at it. I can do simple, quick and dirty, I can do healthy, and I can even do elaborate when the need arises. When the situation merits, I can actually follow a recipe instead of just pulling something outta my ass.

Every time I go to the library or the book store, I'm constantly in search of a cook book for my husband. He doesn't know where to start, and I don't know where to start teaching him. He won't spend time in the kitchen with me, and be my little helper, which is how I learned to cook, and how most Italian kids learn to cook. But he's a big boy, and doesn't have the patience for that. I think he might benefit from a book that has extremely simple recipies for stuff that 90% of the adult population is already capable of making. Or maybe I should make a website out of it.

I like folks like The Naked Chef and Rachael Ray, but even their "simple," 30 min. recipies are out of the grasp of someone who hasn't cooked beyond frying hamburgers, pouring bowls of cerial and heating up a frozen dinner. There just isn't a cook book out there for a beginner to make something like pasta, or something like that, and give them basic information like explaining WHY you use as much water as you do when boiling pasta, why you shouldn't stir rice and let all the starch out into the water, etc.

I enjoy cooking, but I don't want to do it every night. There's nothing worse than James being off, and me working all day, or running errands that he won't do (because he hates leaving the house) all day, then coming home and having to cook if I want something besides sandwiches. Which are OK occationally, but grill 'em or put 'em with a side dish once in a while. 9 fruits and veggies a day are a myth in my husband's life. That's 3 with each meal, or two with each meal and three snacks. I think his scurvy-ridden body would have some kind of fit if he actually got all the vitimins and minerals he was supposed to have. Man cannot live on bread, meat and cheese alone.

I saw the "cooking for engineers" blog (which I'll post the URL to, if I haven't already) and I think we need something even simpler than that, because half the time, *I* don't have the ingredients he's looking for, and I have a marginally stocked kitchen. Maybe I should start a blog for simple recipies. Even if my husband was the only one who ever read it (and hopefully actually acted upon it) it'd be worth it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Gretchen said...

For really basic stuff I like the Better Homes & Gardens cookbook. It has something as simple as hard-boiling an egg, but it also has more elaborate recipes too. I find it very useful for the stupid questions that I'm too embarrassed to ask someone else. :)

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home