Tuesday, January 18, 2005

yum yums: Food for bellies.

I've been pretty bored with food lately, so I've been trying some new combinations, and figured I'd share. Keep in mind, I cook the Italian way, so times and portions are however I'm feeling or the spirit moves me. No Fanny Farmer measurement system here, kids (and if you know what the hell I'm talking about you're a bigger freaking nerd than me, and you should seek help).

1) Spinich/Red Pepper sammich:

Chop a red pepper--cut off the top, pop out the stem, then eat the bubbly parts because they're yummy, get the seeds out, cut long vertical strips about an inch thick. Grill 'em in a frying pan with some cooking spray until they're tender (not droopy) When they're done, turn it down to low heat, throw in a handful of fresh spinich, cover. Toast the bread. I like the crumbled feta cheese, usually the "mediteranian" style (basil and dried tomatoes mixed in, and usually olive bits too--it's like $1.77 at the store). Usually by the time the toast pops up, the spinich is wilted. I make sure I put honey mustard on both slices of bread. It keeps the crumbled feta on a little better. Two table spoons of fetta on the bottom, the spinich then the red peppers, skin side down. Little salt, little peppper (I'm hardcore on crushed sea salt and fresh crushed pepper), more honey mustard, then yum yum.

2) Acorn Squash

There're microwave directions usually stuck on the squash when you get it home from the store, and it lies. It won't be done in like 10 minutes. In fact, it's quicker to throw it in the oven than to try and microwave it.

Cut it in half vertically, dig out the seeds, put it in a pan with an inch of water, lightly salt and pepper it, cover with alum. foil and bake for 20-25 min. at 425. Take it out, butter each half with 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of butter, then sprinkle with splenda/cinnamon mixture (four to six tablespoons of splenda, one teaspoon of cinnamon, maybe a bit of nutmeg if you're feeling crazy). Return to oven for 5-10 minutes or until the spirit moves you to take it out.

Always have a squash buddy. If not, you will inevidably end up eating the entire squash like I did last night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home