Saturday, February 05, 2005

To the rich lady in the tan tweed coat

with the chemically straightened, over-highlighted hair. The one standing in front of me in line at the food court. The one who made me late for my voice lesson.

JUST BECAUSE IT IS AN INDIAN FOOD PLACE WITH AN ACTUAL GIRL FROM INDIA WORKING BEHIND THE COUNTER, THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU HAVE TO QUIZ HER ON THE PRICE OF EACH ITEM IN COMBINATION WITH EVERYTHING ELSE AND THEN TRY TO TALK HER DOWN AND HAGGLE OVER PRICE. THAT WORKS IN CALCUTTA, NOT IN THE BURBS.

AND YOU MADE ME LATE, YOU PETITE LITTLE COW. GO GET A CHEMICAL PEAL AND LEAVE THE POOR GIRL ALONE.

**

ok, now that I got that out of my system.

It has been like two or three months since I've gotten "the talk" from my voice teacher. So I guess I was about due. However, today's "talk" was particularly scathing. To the point, O Mio Bambino Caro was both wretched and awful today (and some other scathing adjective that I can't remember now) and if I'd have sung it that bad last month when we read through it, she wouldn't have let me do it. I couldn't schlub my way through it, I had to use every bit of technique I had, and if I didn't, we'd put it away.

Which took all the wind out of my little sails (we've already disgussed, in depth how tiny my sails are), but I did do it better. She said it was passable but still worse than my cold read through, and that everything sounds SO much better when I just fricking do it. Then we got to part deux of the talk. The part of the talk where she tells me I obviously care, and I'm obviously trying to improve and I want to learn--I just need to do it ALL the time, not just when I feel like. Which I didn't have anything to say to, because my back hurts, and I guess I should have just sucked it up and dealed with the fact that I was starting to have spasms because I have arthritis in my back so it's not like the condition's going to get better or go away, so either stand the hell up straight or stop singing, I guess. So basically I nodded, took my verbal lashing all the way from the lobby to the elevator, didn't say another word, and left. I felt so bad I almost took the stairs because that'd mean I didn't have to stand there where she could come back for round three while I was waiting for the elevator.

She's right, I had it coming, so I guess there's not much I can say to that. And she said she doesn't tell 'just anyone' how awful they were, so I guess I should be thankful for her honesty...but *sigh* geeze, man. Rough day at the salt mines.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home