Thursday, November 10, 2005

We're all gunna die.

You know how they're always saying that using antibacterial soap/sanitizer just leads to more resistant strains of bacteria, etc?

Mostly I've stopped using it, except in two circumstances: first when I'm at the gym in the winter. Yes, it's conditional on the time of year. EVERYBODY is touching and sweating on that equipment all day. I can't walk around in a bubble, and I can't sanitize all of my skin, but rubbing a little stinky sanitizer on my hands after I'm done makes ME feel better.

The second is around sick/old people. Sick people really don't need my germs. When I'm saying sick, I'm talking suppresed immune system. REALLY sick. Like... touch and go. Old people already have one foot in the grave. I don't wanna give my grandma septis or something because I went to the gym before I came over her house.

One of the ladies at the school where I was observing was telling me about her obsessive hand washing. She doesn't want the flu, she doesn't want the diseases the kids bring in on their hall passes and library books. I was thinking... you're probably just making it worse for yourself in the long run, because you're killing the "innocent" stuff and only exposing yourself to... say... the bird flu. Which there is no protection against.

But hey, I like to sanitize my hands at the gym. It makes ME feel better.

And it dawned on me... HAND SANITIZER IS "DUCK AND COVER" FOR THE BIRD FLU.

When you see the flash, a tablecloth isn't going to protect you.

4 Comments:

Blogger HMC said...

Your blog is making me crazy today. All the entries keep switching order like they forgot that 9 p.m. comes after 10 a.m. Plus the word verification is strange and complex. My brain is stupid today.

1:08 PM  
Blogger TLG said...

I changed the date on one of the posts. Somehow I made the date 11/10 when I posted it last night. It was like I was blogging in the future or something, because everything I posted after that was getting posted under it.

1:11 PM  
Blogger HMC said...

Thank God. I thought I was stroking out or something. =)

1:15 PM  
Blogger Janna said...

I have the same mentality when it comes to germs and the killing thereof. I wash my hands like crazy when I'm a public bathroom, and every few weeks use a couple of those sanitizing wipe things on the light switches and doorknobs and stuff, but other than that, I figure I'll just let my immunity build some resistance. Seems to work, too, more or less.

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home