Wednesday, February 01, 2006

I only believe in global warming if both chicks are hot.

Yeah.


I actually had someone ask me today if I'd eat my cat, because I was talking about how I just needed to eat some cow last night (PMS--only cure is cow and chocolate, for some reason). DUDE. First of all, I love my cat, and I held him and cried and cried and cried when we put him down. Would I eat my cat? Depends. If I was hungry enough. Cuz shit--he was a fat little fucker, but it wasn't like he had tons of meat on his bones (why do people eat frogs? Seems like so much work for so very little. And for something that tastes like chicken at that). I'd probably cry first too. Fortunately I live in a land of plenty where I don't have to get personal with the cow who is completeing his circle of life on my dinner plate.

I dont think we should be cruel to animals just so we can eat them. And lets face it, genetically altered chickens (the ones they do crazy shit to so they can have more breast meat) taste funny. I think we've kind of lost our connectedness to that particular circle of life. It makes it very easy for us to tp not care about the habitat and life of the slab of meat under plastic wrap and styrophome in the store. It also makes it very easy for us to demonize people who eat meat and the ranchers who produce meat. Killing and cleaning animals is pretty unattractive to most folks now-a-days. When I was a kid, my grandmother told me that growing up, her family had chickens in the back yard, and when it was time for a chicken dinner, she'd catch it and chop it's head off, I was shocked. I couldn't imagine doing that. Of course, I had only recently discovered that "chicken" and "fish" wern't just clever names given to food--they were, indeed, chickens and fishies.

I think, perhaps, being that "involved" with our food is a healthy part of life that we're missing. Even having to go to the marketplace and get all the ingrediants for dinner, asking for a particular cut from an animal and picking out each fruit and vegitable is more involved than we are now days. I like to cook, but mostly it's frozen dinners or things with pre-made parts since I'm in dread-grad school. But I don't even interract with my food sofaras chopping it up, much less adding each ingrediant from scratch to make it, or killing or cleaning it.

Besides the big portions and fatty processed crap devoid of nutritional content that we eat here, I think that the lack of interraction and lack of hand in the preparation of our food might be a good bit of the health problem in this country. It's too easy, we're too removed from it. We don't have to work very hard on it, but we get the instant reward.

1 Comments:

Blogger HMC said...

I agree to a point. I think our civilization has moved past having to go to the backyard to kill dinner. That's a significant development in the service industry. Pretty much, any step we take away from hunting and gathering is good.

However, cooking with real preparation and fresh ingredients is an art that TV dinners and fast food are slowly killing. Anytime we lose a skill like that, I think we suffer as a society. What will the anthropologists have to study 3,000 years from now? Not our beautiful tapestries or intricate pottery. They'll look at old TV Guides and plastic dinner trays. But who knows, in the future everyone will probably be hooked up to senstation chambers with feeding tubes inserted into us and they just won't care. Sad.

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home